Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ye Delhi Hain Mere Yaar........

Delhi is the second home for me. I spent around half of my life in this city. So I have a very close attachment for this city. Whenever I read or heard something not good about this city, I feel very bad. It is like someone has said something bad about my family.

So you can understand how I feel when one of my friend said that
Delhi is the most unsafe place for girl. I fought with him that similar thing happened in Bangalore also. Mumbai has also similar examples. But when he gave examples of three four cases in recent times, I didn’t have any words to counter that. It is really an important matter to think about.

When that famous Dhaulkuan case happened we blamed that girl. We said that she was adventurous to go for a tea at night. But how can we blame those girls who were returning form their offices. What was their fault? Is it their fault to work late in office? C'mon we are living in the 21st century. That too in the capital of this country. It is very easy to blame police and government. But can’t we do anything on these ourselves.

I am not saying that we will stand on the roadside at night to give safety to every woman. But we can start something from small. We can try to change the attitude of some people towards women. In DTC or Metro you will always find people seating on ladies seat. Or language generally people use in front of their women colleagues or friends. We can ask them to restrain themselves, when they talk in front of women friends or colleagues. These are very small things. But if we start from these then one day we can change our Delhi in to a better place for living. I know it is not easy. But out of ten, if we able to convince two people also, then I think it will be a victory for us.

I am waiting for that day when I will be able to answer my friend and can tell him that we are living in the best city of India.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

2mar likhonia xokolure mon sui jauk ........... aitu okol delhire nohoi aamar north eastoru ............

Bagdevi Mishra said...

Good initiative. I had always been thinking about this issue. Yes, it is the fact of today, "Delhi is the most unsafe place for the women.". I agree with your argument that we cant blame the police or the system for the safety issues. It is highly improbable that one armed person will be there to safe guard each one women. It is the society, that should be changed. Sometimes, we think, "if I am good, that is fine. I need not think of the others. Why should I try to convince a person to be good?" But give a thought everybody, is not it a greater offense to be the part of the society that is called bad in general. Anybody can start arguing saying "this society is not bad." But do not go by my wordings, try to understand the meaning beneath these words...
I am with Naba, in this mission to make this society a better place for the women. I will try to convince people to change their attitude. At least, I will object any gender biased offending behavior at public and personal places. Are you with us, friends..
Come on, join hands....

Nabajyoti said...

Thanks a lot for your support. I think we are starting in the right direction. But we need more support from you all.

Anurag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anurag said...

Good thinking...let's join hands and make this possible

India NorthEast Buzz said...

hello Naba...waiting to read a blog post here...