Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ek akela iss shahar main........

I will never forget that day in my life. It was Monday. For the first time came out of home alone. Of course dada came with me, but stayed for only one day. He had to go to his college. So alone in a new place. Don't know any one. Language is different. I had some friends (actually dada's friend) here. When I remember those days, I still feel that without them, I would have returned to my home. But still I felt home sick at sometime. Whoever stayed in Delhi know, how they feel in the month of June. That too for someone who comes from Assam for the first time. That day I realized what 47 degree Celsius means.

It was my decision to come to Delhi. From the day I finished school I was sure that I will come to Delhi for higher studies. But never thought that it will be that difficult. From admission in college to jump in and out of Redline bus (that time Blueline was called Redline) everywhere you have to fight to get something. Still people are so energetic. From early morning to late night you will see people are running and driving from one place to another. But they never complain. For a guy like me who comes from sleepy town of Assam, that was really a new experience.

..........I was waiting for the call from home inside a PCO. No no I did not have cell phone. Mobile phone came to India in late nineties only. So eagerly waiting for the call from home. Today is the day, which will decide whether I will stay in Delhi or go home. I was relieved when I got the percentage of my class twelve exam. With this percent I should get a seat in a decent college of DU. .......My next adventure was to submit admission form from one college to another college. For the first time I saw the famous Ring Road of Delhi and also the “Mudrika Sewa” (lifeline of Delhi). With five rupees you can circle the whole ring road of around 50 k.m. in a “Mudrika” bus. Amazing isn't it? And I did that, of course not for fun but to submit the admission forms. Ya I got lots of help from my senior friends, in finding colleges.

.........At last I got admission in a college. So now I am a student of Delhi University, my childhood dream. I felt like I am in cloud nine. Unaware of the future life in this city. I am starting to enjoy the student life of DU. Never bought ticket in city bus. For DTC buses we had twenty rupees pass. For Redline buses just we had to say “Staff”. That was our ticket in Redline bus. Frankly even today I don’t know what that “Staff” means.

..........One by one my senior friends left Delhi. Some back to Assam, some abroad. New friends came and went. But I am still here. Don’t know what Delhi did to me, but I never able to stay far from this city. After around 13 years I still feel like I came to this city only yesterday. There is something new in this city everyday. Still you have to fight to get something here. But that fight is worth giving. Because you know, you will never return empty hand. You may be alone here, fighting for survival in every step of life, but this city will never let you to feel that. Experiences I got form this city, whether in my personal life or professional life is uncountable. Delhi has changed a lot in these years, but for me it is still the same city I encountered on that hot Monday of June.

Nabbu aa jaa chaai ban gaya”, my room mate’s voice bring back me to the present world.
And suddenly I realized my other room mate is playing the song from the movie "Gharonda" in his laptop "ek akela iss shahar main........."

13 comments:

A World Around Me said...

Hey Nabs,Good one and very touchy. It makes me feel that instead of you i am the center character of this whole story.

Unknown said...

Great write up Nabjyoti. I must compliment you for your writing skills.You write very simply yet in a highly facinating manner.

soumyadeep said...

Hmm.. great!. The perception that you have for this city especially the attitude
of accepting the city new, yet today is the force that holds you up here... This
helps you to learn more. This city has many things and many ways to educate one
, and you are one who is the pupil of this city.
I thank the city to hold such a nice friend here along with us.
Hope this city also learns from you the attitude of activeness, punctuality, eve
r ready to help and generosity towards the fellow citizens.

Unknown said...

Hey Nabbu, Writing skills are gr8.you should write a novel or something. The description of delhi's daily routine is awesome, specially that ring road round through lifeline "Mudrika" bus in just five rupees.Keep writing bro.. Now im going, will surely give comment on ur next blog. mom is calling. !! "ek akela is ghar mein......"

Unknown said...

Story Achi Hai Its a time show your hidden skills you can write a book and publish it so that you can narrate internal feeling of every human being,i think some what this story is linked with those people who really wants to achive something else from life and for fulfilling its own dream alone they used to enters in a glamourus world like....Ek Akela iss shahar main.......

Unknown said...

wonderful! this is not yours but everyone's story who dreams to be able to come to "Delhi" and study in the glorious 'Delhi University'. The word has a magic in it, just like 'Cotton College' had.powerful writing. through it i could visualize my days of struggle. Hope your okela days would come to a happy end very soon :)

Meghali said...

Great work!!!!
The feeling for this City( NOIDA also) is all the same :)

mukutlochan said...

reads good !
if i start giving comments, i'm affraid, i too might start writing about many such days in delhi !! So, that for next time

Unknown said...

Superb Blogs, in a very lucid language.... every place brings in experiences, the idea is to learn from all ur experiences - sweet and bitter, carry with yourself the sweet ones and leave beind the bitter ones...Wish u all the success in life

Nabajyoti said...

Thanks a lot Seetha.

Unknown said...

Very nice and touchy Blog!!
I really want to appreciate your feeling towards our own Delhi!!
Great Going!!

Unknown said...

Its so true...very wellwritten....hey..I think u can start your biography...I am not jocking...If u do it sometime don't forget to mention about the DTC ticket...Do you remember?

Harshita Hajela said...

Took me back to a day to which I am not even sure I was born. Keep writing!